Monday, September 10, 2012

How to Organize your Homework.

I had a reader ask for some advice on how to organize homework.  Since I have 2 youths in the house, one in grade 8 and the other in grade 9, this topic is close to home.

My kids are both honour roll students.  They each achieved this last year, and now that my husband and I know they are capable of this, we kinda hold them to it! LOL!



You will find a large selection of homework organizing information available for grade school students in their primary years of school.  There are plenty of blogs that cover the younger grades.  Not as much out there for the higher grades.  I found this article on line, and while I considered re-writing it to my own words, the more I read it I felt that she says it all quite well herself.  Please find attached below an article with good solid advice for students in middle school, high school and beyond that will help you establish a firm base for your homework routine.

You can read below, but I have also provided the direct link HERE.

High School Organization Techniques for Homework and Studying

Organize for Less Stress and Better Grades

I remember when school use to be carefree. Frolicking, storybooks, and crayons were the tools I used to learn. Then, the fun stopped and I entered first grade. Once I got to high school, stress was an every day event, but then I learned some organization techniques that helped lower my stress and raise my grades.

Organize your High School Materials

Office Depot became my organizational friend in high school. While strolling through the isles one day, I devised an organization system that served me well into my college days. I started by choosing a color for each high school class. Green was for science, blue for history, and red for math. Based on my color selection, I purchased a 1" 3 ring notebook, big dots, and some dividers for each class. I also bought a large desk calendar. With my purchases in hand, I had the tools for high school class organization.
In the 3 ring binders, I placed ordinary notebook paper, some dividers and wrote the high school class name along the binding and on the cover. I named the dividers based on the class organization. For example, for my math class, I had a notes section, a class work section, and a homework section. I would hole punch any assignments or handouts and place them in the correct section. For classes that had a syllabus, I would place it at the front of the notebook for easy reference.
Once I organized my binders, I organized my large desk calendar. I took the syllabus from each high school class and wrote every assignment, test, and presentation on a big dot and placed it on the calendar according to the due date. At a glace, I was able to see when I had multiple homework assignments or tests on the same day. When I could see the ebb and flow of assignments, I learned to be proactive in my homework assignments and studying. By being proactive, I decreased my high school stress and ultimately raised my grades.

Organize your High School Study and Homework Time

In high school, I was the queen of after school activities. I was a tutor, took piano lessons, served in multiple organizations, and participated heavily in the Junior Achievement company program. With this hectic schedule, I learned to carefully organize my high school homework and study time.
For my homework assignments, I learned to utilize down time. For example, in many of my classes, I had a few minutes after the lesson was over before I had to change to my next class. During this time, I had a homework assignment handy and I would work until the bell rang for my next class. By doing this consistently, I usually had my math homework finished before school ended for the day. I also found times during lunch, or after finishing a classroom assignment to work on homework. For homework assignments that needed more attention such as writing an essay, I would jot down ideas that I could use when I sat down at night to work on the homework assignment.
Repetition is the key to learning most things in high school classes. When I studied, I would make note cards of key items that I could pull out and study anywhere. For many tests, I used my note cards to study on my way to school as well as the few minutes before a test started. These note cards served two purposes; they made me organize the key points, but also served as a way to refresh my memory before a test started. These note cards helped to reduce my stress, and raise my high school grades especially on tests.
Also, it is important when you study to find a place conducive to your study style. Some people need absolute quiet to study effectively, while others do best with some background noise. My best study time was when I had some music in the background and had no interruptions. Focus is also important when studying. It is easy to let your mind wander when you are studying, especially if you have distractions where you study. Find one place where you study routinely and remove any items that cause a distraction. When you sit down to study, tell yourself you will focus for a certain period of time and don't let your mind wander. Once you have organized your mind for studying, you will finish your studying faster and will retain more information. Overall, when your high school studying is organized, you will have less stress and higher grades.

Conclusions to High School Organization Techniques for Homework and Studying

Overall, if you want to have less stress and higher grades during high school, make sure to find an organizational system that works for you. While the techniques I mentioned worked for me, you must find an organization system that fits your schedule and style. Once you find your system, you will be amazed at how your stress level declines and your grades rise.
Reference: Trial and Error during my time in High School.
Published by Laura Acevedo
Laura Acevedo writes from a professional and academic background with experience in finance, information technology, marketing and international business. Acevedo holds an MBA in International Business from...  View profile

There you have it!  Start your school year off right.  

- Create a system that works for you. 
- Make time to be organized.
- Stick to your routine.
- If you need help, seek guidance from your teachers early.  Don't delay.

Thanks for reading.

Cassie

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...