Saturday, November 17, 2012

More Vegetables

I'm am still reviewing ways to improve both my family's and my own eating habits.
I am becoming increasingly aware that there is so many processed foods and drinks that we eat.  We can make simple choices to improve our health, and even our lives.


So, I'm on the search for whole food and plant based eating, without actually becoming a full out Vegetarian or Vegan.  I want to reduce the quantities of meats and dairy products for health, and increase plant foods and grains.  If you are Vegetarian or Vegan and my last sentence makes you immediately ask why not Vegetarian or Vegan, there's are variety of reasons, but to keep it simple, that's just not where I'm at right now.

My Grandfather is now 99 , still alive, and has been a Vegetarian/Vegan most of his life.  Between his diet and lots of walking, he has lived a long healthy life.  Makes me pay attention.  What factors were his lifestyle choices in his longevity and health?   My brother has gone Vegan in the last year or so, for health reasons.  My sister has been Vegetarian most of her life too.  Anyways, it just makes you check it out a bit when you have people in your life that pursue those food choices too.

Here is a thought, if you were to "BE IN THE HABIT OF ORGANIZING YOUR WEEKLY MEALS" (there's that heart for organizing...) and if you were to plan your meals pretending you were either Vegetarian or Vegan, how different would your plate look?

If you were trying to get your nutrients and sense of satiety from whole foods from plants, would there be a big shift in your quantity of vegetables?  Whole grains? Fruits?
Now if you add back in the meat or dairy you want in a very moderate amounts,  I suspect that you will find that the healthiness of your meals is greatly improved.  You would also need less of the meats and dairy because you would have a greater balance of the other whole foods on your plate.

There are multiple reasons for doing this, for your personal health, for the environment, and if you choose meats, poultry, pork, fish and diary from responsibly sourced places, you even help the welfare of animals.   The animal topic is much broader than this blog entry could cover.
It would cost more per pound of meat or per litre of dairy to shop like this, but if you and your family are eating much more moderate portions of these meats and dairy, your grocery budget would stay the same, and you'll be healthier for it, and voting with your wallet for the well being of animals and our environment.

That's what we're trying anyways.  We found a place near where we live called Howard the Butcher,  Caledon, Ont. and all their meats and dairy are from local farms (local eating is another important thing) and it's all hormone free and anti-biotic free.  Animals treated humanely.

So, where is the best source to find fresh ideas for eating whole foods and plant based?  From the Vegan cookbooks of course! And Vegan blogs.


Here is 2 really cool cook books I found.  I am in no way aligning myself with anyone's political stances, just to be clear, I have not thoroughly checked out these individuals, so if they have some real extreme views I don't necessarily know that.  I am not trying to endorse anything by showing you these books. Just check them out for their value as great cook books that seem nutritionally sound.

1. Bendan Brazier's - Whole Foods to Thrive

Nutrient-dense, Plant-based Recipes for Peak Health


This cook book even has recipes from Vegan restaurants.  I have eaten at Live Organic Food Bar.  Some of their recipes are in here.  Soooo exciting.

2. Alicia Silverstone's - The Kind Diet

A Simple Guide to Feeling Great, Losing Weight, and Saving the Planet.


She has some really nice recipes in this book.  Great to check out.
She also has a website.  The Kind Life.  I haven't done a lot of exploring on her site, but I will with time.

I am challenged to eat better, and get rid of as much processed foods as possible from our diet.
If you are interested in doing the same, these books are probably at your local library, and are a great place to start.

Thanks for reading, and happy eating!

Cassie



No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...