Tuesday, August 7, 2012

Sewing Supplies Organized

I have been working on my bedroom closet this week. 

Yesterday I tackled the big job of removing everything from there that should not be.
Then I painted, stenciled and but everything back so nicely in the closet.  My shoes all in little home made shoe racks up top, clothes hanging on the bar, and storage containers below to hold purses, and some beauty stuff that my bathroom can't store.

Here is the closet all finished, yesterday.


I was still left with all the things to find a new home for.  
Once, quite a while ago, I decided it would be a great idea to add my sewing supplies in here because we have very limited storage space and I was trying to be practical.  All it did was leave my closet packed to the door!  I have not enjoyed my closet for a while, until now. :-) 

Here is the huge pile of stuff I had to clean up that was in the closet.  My husband can't believe I managed to squeeze everything into that little closet.


Aaaahhhh!  
Please don't be scared away because I have shown this to you!  
It's an organizing project after all.  Remember, sometimes we have to make a bit of a mess in order to clean things up and make new systems and routines.
I had a couple of boxes of baby photos and baby stuff in this stack, my wedding gown and an old green snow suit, and the rest was ALL SEWING FABRIC AND SUPPLIES!
I know, it's too much.  I have found some really great sales over the years and I have gathered quite a collection.  It's value is worth quite a bit all together, so I decided I really want to keep this and use it up making new clothes.   

Off to the store for some storage containers.

I bought 4 bins.  1 to hold the wedding dress and snow suit, and the rest to sort fabric.

Here is the first box with patterns, thread and cutting mats and various sewing notions.


Here is the next box, full with large chunks of fabric for bigger projects.  These fabrics can make jackets, dresses and suits.  


The last box is a LOT of fabric, all well suited for dress shirts, fun tops, skirts etc.  


I'm proud to say, here is my scary stack reduced to 4 plastic storage containers and the 2 cardboard boxes of baby memoirs.


Here is the bag of donation items that came out of that stack.


And finally, there was some fabric scraps that were just garbage, and some cardboard boxes, so this project did produce a bag of trash and a bag of recycle.


There it is!  When you clean out a closet or other space like it in your home, you sometimes end up with a stack of stuff that isn't garbage, but it needs a new home.  I didn't do this all in one day.  I got my closet in order first, and then I tackled the stack.  It took some good, honest time to finish this, but the pay off is there in full.  The boxes will be stored in the garage, and now my closet is just for closet things.  Hooray!

Thanks for reading.

Cassie









2 comments:

  1. Ok, you might have just inspired me to clean out my closet! Seriously!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You make me smile. I am off work this week and I must confess it was a rather large job to tackle....me and my closet. It was sooooo worth it. Go for it! You can do it!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...